Intravenous iron infusions
What is iron?
Iron is an important minerals required by the body. It has a number of important functions and is vital to produce blood to carry oxygen throughout the body. Unfortunately iron deficiency is quite common in Western society, affecting up to 20% of women.
Symptoms that may indicate iron deficiency can include:
- Difficulty thinking
- Recurrent infections
Who is at risk of being iron deficient?
- Women – especially with blood loss due to monthly periods, pregnancy and breastfeeding
- People with a poor diet
- Vegetarians and vegans
- People who have trouble absorbing iron (eg. coeliac disease, effects of medications or surgery)
Iron deficiency is diagnosed by a blood test. This can not only measure how much iron you have in your body but also assist in identifying some of the causes of iron deficiency.
How do you treat iron deficiency?
Whilst diet is important in maintaining iron levels, it is often insufficient to restore normal iron levels.
Oral iron supplements need to be taken for a few months and are effective in mild iron deficiency. However, oral supplements can sometimes cause problems such as constipation or nausea, in which case an IV iron infusion may be a safe, effective alternative.
Advantages of IV Iron Infusions at Warrandyte Road Clinic
- Effective – the infusion can deliver up to 1000mg of iron in one sitting and can quickly restore your iron levels to normal.
- Fast – most patients experience a rapid improvement in their symptoms, usually within a week or two
- Affordable – having your infusion at Warrandyte Road Clinic means you don't need to pay specialist or hospital fees, saving you time and money.
- Safe – significant side effects are rare.
If you suspect you may be iron deficient or would like to know more about iron infusion, please speak to us!